Friday, October 28, 2005

Oh but the trees were lovely!

I hate it when people talk in movies.
It’s my number 2 pet hate (#1 being people talking in live theatre).

A group of friends and I went to see Pride and Prejudice today (instead of studying…oops…). It’s a great little movie with an absolutely goooorgeous Mr Darcy played by Matthew Macfadyen, but apparently that wasn’t enough for the two middle-aged women sitting a few seats to my right. Throughout the entire movie these two found it necessary to comment on the scenery and point out the obvious! Let me give you a few examples, because there were many. In a scene near the beginning of the movie, the camera zooms out on a house framed by two huge trees, to which one of the ladies remarked “ooh – what lovely trees”. The exact same thing happened two or three times more and because of this, the conversation the group of us had after the movie was one of the only ones where the word necrophilia was even remotely relavent. Other examples of things said by the women include: “wow, what a lovely house” (also said many many times), “Oh no!”, “That’s his sister” (the movie had made this blindingly obvious) and numerous other questions beginning with “Why…?” I have a question beginning in ‘why’ for you: Why? WHY do people find it necessary to talk loudly during movies??? They weren’t even speaking in the SMALL
“I’m going to lean over to tell you something quietly because we are in a movie theatre and I don’t want to disturb the other patrons” voice –
they were talking in the BIG “I’m going to talk to the person sitting next to me as if we are in a very busy café and not a very quiet movie theatre” voice!
The women, of course, also came to the attention of Sophie who was sitting next to me and, being slightly more forward than myself, she proceeded to cough loudly every time they started to talk. You’d really think that by the amount of splutter and head turning we were doing, they would have shut up. There was an upside to their talking I spose – this viewing of Pride and Prej (having seen it once before) was perhaps the funniest I’d ever been to. After lots of fist biting and dirty looks Soph was attacked by the Giggle-Loop (if you don’t know what this is and haven’t watched Coupling then I’m not going to tell you because “to know about the Giggle-Loop is to be in the Giggle-Loop” and trust me you DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE GIGGLE-LOOP) so she sat there shaking and trying not to laugh for at least 10 minutes. I was, of course, no help. Just as she looked to be calming down, I would give her a reassuring pat on the shoulder which would inevitably start the whole cycle off again. Hehehe.

Anyway – after that point anything the women said or anything remotely funny on screen would send us into wild fits of laughter. The fact that we (she says I did it, I say she did it – there is no real solution here) spilt a whole bag of Maltesers onto the floor (and, as I later found out, into my shoes) didn’t help. Upon coming out of the cinema (after many reenactments of why she had gone into the Giggle-Loop in the first place and what we should have said to the women) the had to ask us what was so funny about the movie – we, unfortunately, could not explain it and it became a “you had to be there” joke. True, they were there, but that’s hardly the point.

Right, now that I’ve got that over and done with, I can go back to attempting to study.
Physics here I come!!

Keep it real (because if you keep it fake somebody is going to find out and arrest you),

Cait Who Has Had Too Much Chocolate And Is Still On A Giggle-Loop High.

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm...well I did hear soph coughing a bit but i thought she was really coughing..but i didnt hear those 2 women talking...lucky me..i was further away from em...well betta luck with that next time...cyas ***

Toastghost said...

that damned giggle loop! i thinki'm gonna go pull some more people in, just for some sadistic fun

Caitlin said...

Hmmm... I like the way you think. If you really wanted to do some damage you could post it on a blog. Actually, having said that...

Anonymous said...

I got here through your comment on Rani's blog - you know Coupling AND Red Vs Blue? That is truely awesome.

Caitlin said...

You've got good taste in entertainment!
This is a wierd question, but do the words "Monkey Island" mean anything to you?

Anonymous said...

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Caitlin said...

We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange...
This is getting strange - nobody I talk to has *ever* played one of the Monkey Islands, let alone heard of them.

Caitlin said...

What other obscure series do you know about?

Anonymous said...

Are we talking games or TV?

TV - Family Guy, American Dad, Eat Carpet (Haven't seen it for a while though - it's a show that consists entirely of short independant films, on SBS), Little Brittan...probably more that I can't remember.

Games - Too many to list, what about you?

Anonymous said...

Do the phrases "You crack me up little buddy" or "Sorry for the wait, Mr. Flores. I am ready to take you now." ring a bell?

Anonymous said...

What kinda ppl do u talk 2 if no1 u know has heard of monkey island??

Caitlin said...

Yes to both!! Sam&Max and Grim Fandango, right? Definetly two of the best games ever.
Having said that, if I said "To save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs" would that ring any bells??

Tv shows for me would be Black Books, Family Guy, Futurama (although thats not so obscure I guess), Little Brittain, Inspector Rex etc etc
and Games - pretty much anything LucasArts and Runaway:a Road Adventure (which is a v. wierd game).
As for the people I talk to, I guess they're all simply uncultured... or of the non-computer-game-playing variety... which, in my opinion, is pretty much the same thing really!

Anonymous said...

Day Of The Tentacle :D Can't say I was a fan of Runaway, the main chatacter bugged me too much, but it was still pretty good. What about The Longest Journey?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and you might wanna know - Sam & Max 2 is now again in production :D

Caitlin said...

I spose that's true Flea... but still, its the principle of the thing!!

Caitlin said...

Sam&Max 2? Fantastic!! That'll give me something to look forward to for a while : p
I agree with you about Runaway, but what really got to me were the cross-dressers... I'm still a little disturbed...

I've heard about The Longest Journey, but never played it - you'd recommend it then? Also, have you played all 4 of the Monkey Island titles?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunaetly I have, I'm still trying to forget monkey konbat. I'd definitely reccomend TLJ though, it's fantastc.

I will stride into the gates of hell with your head on a stick!
Stride?
Ok ok, roll, ROLL into the gates of hell! Must you spoil everything?

Caitlin said...

Right then - next time I see a copy I'll pick it up.
As for monkey island quotes -

-¡Madre de Dios! ¡Es el Pollo Diablo!"
-Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
-Well, yer not gettin' me without a fight!

Except I once made the mistake of quoting that at someone who actually speaks the language... apparently its not entirely grammatically correct...
Do you have a favourite?

Anonymous said...

This,

It just occurred to me that mixing medicine and alcohol is a really stupid and possibly lethal thing to do. If I were a real person instead of a lovable, inept cartoon character with the potential for a few more sequels... I wouldn't even consider it. Skoal!

and anything from Murray or Stan. Wanna add me on MSN? Pirateguybrush@gmail.com

Caitlin said...

: p

And if I ever get around to using MSN, most certainly.

Caitlin said...

I've always loved the way they react to trying to pick up unpickupable ojects - ie.
Max: Now you've done it. You've broken Sam's spirit with your stupid attempts to pick up that silly object.
Sam: (whine)

or

Pick up the moon? Are you nuts?

Anonymous said...

You know what's great? Absolutely everything about Grim Fandango. The atmosphere, the music, the voices, the art, the amazing script, Lola's death scene...

Anonymous said...

Lola DIES??
Thanx for ruining it for me
:p

Caitlin said...

Plus there's Glottis!
And you can't go past him...

Anonymous said...

Wow Cait...i think uv bet the record of havin the most comments..lol...kiranis not far behind...n is that u jeffers.the jenius? cait dont let him confuse u...lol..cyas***

Anonymous said...

What, me? Confuse people? I have never pulled any practical jokes where I pretended to be someone else and be madly in love with anyone in my life, thankyou very much! However, if someone was to pull such a joke, I would find it very amusing, and be highly supportive of that particular person. If it were to happen, that is to say. Hypothetically.

Anonymous said...

Before we crawled, crawled along the ground like worms. But now, now Manny we soar! Like eagles! Like eagles on.....pogo sticks!

Anonymous said...

I now no its u all the time jeffers...lol...u r so funny!elle**

Anonymous said...

What??? Never!!!

Caitlin said...

I just locked an open door... strange, yet symbolically compelling.

But I've always found that any game that has such similes
as 'screaming like a cat tied to a cruise missile' has got to be good.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd drop by and let you know, rvb is out!

Caitlin said...

Ooh - brilliant. Ta!

Anonymous said...

Well that's just a matter of penis....er..opinion!

Caitlin said...

High five!
I don't want to do that any more.

You gotta love Caboose : p

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, he's by far my favourite character!

"I think 'blarg' means 'me'.....or.....'apples'. GUYS! Apples must be the name of his cat! Is Apples stuck in a tree?"
*blarg*
"I will call the fire department"

And of course
"I think it would be ironic if we were all made of iron..."

Caitlin said...

He certainly has some of the very best moments...
ie.
Sheeeeeiiila! Come back to me! I baked you a muffin!

and -
Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the blackness!

(my brother and I actually use that one when we burn toast - which is a lot because we have a dodgy toaster)

Anonymous said...

nah his best would have to be
"Time line?... Time isn't made of lines! It is made of circles. That is why clocks are round"

Anonymous said...

38 COMMENTS..JEEZ!!! I guess u hav made it 2 the person with the most comments so far on there blog,,lol...well done...but now its 39 so here I go on ready the new 10 othas..cyas elle**

Anonymous said...

lol...jeffers...dont try mixing medicine w alcohol again..i dunno if u alread yhav but plz dont try it again as u said...it could be lethal...hmm? oh dont mind me..was just thinkin if ive dont that..but nah not exactly mixed...so take car jeffers by not doin that..ooo and wats w that penis comment?lol..neva mind..elle**

Caitlin said...

Hehe - true, true.
But you've gotta love Doc/O'Malley as well-
DuFresne: You know, I really think we should take a non-violent approach to resolve this.
O'Malley: I agree! Except, replace the word "non" with "extremely", and after the word "violent", include the phrase "blood explosion extroardinaire"! HAHAHAHAHA!

Plus they proved that if you say 'Bow chicka bow wow" enough its actually funny...

Anonymous said...

They certainly did prove it, and O'Makky is awesome, I love his Spanish. Speaking of Spanish, Lopez is also great, I love it how he was aboe to build a robot army when he's just a head. Whatever happened to Doc & Lopez anyway? I'm assuming O'Mally was killed by Crunchbite, as he's a computer program, but shouldn't Doc be a ghost? Oh, and isn't it just painful? I'm sure I don't have to spell out what I mean, but don't you agree?

Caitlin said...

Mmmm - I know what you mean! As for Doc... good point. I might have to go back and rewatch the *whole* thing again to try and nut this one out...