Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Books (gah!)

I'm scared.

I've recently discovered that books are affecting the way I think. Not in the "I now have a better understanding of life and the world around me sort of way", but in the "I am now going to think in the style in which the book has been written" type of way. Its really really really annoying!! Let me give you an example - A while back I was reading a book where the main character (and narrator) was a texan. So, without realising it my inner monologue had suddenly developed a southern drawl.
Whenever I read period pieces (eg. Jane Austen, Bronte etc etc) my innermonologue becomes posh and, just because I want to use this word *somewhere*, somewhat hoity toity (gawd...). Which is really unnecessary because I already sound like that most of the time (unintentionally, of course)

All I can hope for is that this does not come through in my "outer monologue". I'd hate for people to be able to tell what I was reading just from listening to me speak...

Having said that, I'm going to go home tonight and attempt to get past the first page of "Clockwork Orange".

You'll know I have if I start talking gibberish.

Well, moreso than usual.

Quiet you.

1 comment:

Toastghost said...

read, read it damn you!